Natural sponge has been used for thousands of years due to its inique qualities.
- It is very absorbent in water and it creates a thick leather while its velvet touch softly cleanses the skin.
- It is hypo allergenic and helps in the best cleansing of the skin without irritating and is suitable even for children's sensitive skin.
- As a living organism, the sponge deters the accumulation of bacteria thus protecting body hygiene.
- It is especially long wearing, it does not unravel like industrial sponge nor does it strain or hold odors.
- Due to its velvety surface, it is ideal for massage giving the body a unique relaxation experience turning bathtime into a time of luxury
The "Honeycomb" sponge is considered to be the "King of Sponges" due to its large pores that give a very rich lather, velvety sensation to the skin and also make a super breathable sponge.
Natural sponges are fished in the traditional way of diving. Experienced divers dive into the sea at depths of 25-60 metres. At the bottom of the sea, our collaborate divers choose not only the best sponges using eco-friendly methods, but also those that are fully grown, leaving smaller ones to grow, to be harvested the following year. In this manner, they protect the watery environment which is a source of life for themselves.
After the harvest begins the processing. Once a year, usually at the end of September to the beginning of October, the boats return to the island. There the sponges are sorted by speciallized and experienced personnel, usually retired sponge-divers who relive their old life through this work, their life in the depths of the seas, the life that they loved so much.
The nature of the product and the fact that no sponge is the same as any other deters the development of modern automatic methods and techniques for the processing. So, everything is done by hand.
You can maintain your sponge for upto 2 years by taking care of it properly.
Rinse it thoroughly and leave to completely dry out between uses.
Occasionaly on a sunny day leave it to dry under the sunlight
or wet it and and place it for a few seconds into the microwave on high, or boil it for a few minutes and then let dry
- 4-4.5in / 10-11.5cm